Frequently Asked Questions
What is the FinTech Control Tower?
The FCT is a research-focused unit developed jointly by the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Expand Research. As an integral part of BCG’s expertise in financial services, we focus on the FinTech start-up ecosystem, by identifying initiatives, technologies, and companies that matter most in today’s FinTech ecosystem and assessing their impact.
We engage directly with financial institutions, regulators, industry stakeholders and innovators via our FinTech intelligence platform, bespoke consulting services and deep-dive industry reports.
The FCT platform is an extension of the unit, allowing our subscribers to gain access to the tools and knowledge we have long held internally.
What industries does the FCT platform track?
The FCT platform tracks FinTechs, InsurTechs and RegTechs globally across all maturity and funding stages. Our coverage includes both public and private companies.
- FinTechs are companies that leverage technology to either provide banking services directly or
provide solutions to enable existing banking service providers
- InsurTechs are companies that leverage technology to either provide insurance directly or provide solutions to enable existing insurers
- RegTechs are companies that leverage technology to provide solutions that enhance regulatory compliance capabilities of financial service providers
Where does the FCT get its data from?
The FCT data assets come from 3 core sources.
Firstly, we engage directly with industry stakeholders, through primary interviews with executives or founders of FinTechs, investors and financial institutions. This is curated and conducted by our team of FinTech experts.
Secondly, we work with data providers such as Crunchbase, Dealroom, Venturecap Insights as well as global and regional industry associations.
Thirdly, we conduct a significant amount of secondary research to validate data points and trends, across publicly available sources such as news articles and announcements, company filings, annual reports and company social media profiles.
Who can access the FCT platform?
The FCT platform can be accessed online by our subscribers.
When can I access the FCT platform?
The platform will be commercially launched in 2022. Please click here to join our waitlist and be among the first to gain access
How much does it cost?
Pricing will be announced nearer to the date of our commercial launch
How does the FCT platform organize companies?
The FCT has developed a proprietary taxonomy that organizes companies by industry, product line, business vertical, value chain and business model.
- Industry: companies are categorized into one of three core sectors, FinTech, InsurTech or RegTech
- Product line: each industry sector has a unique product ontology developed by the FCT that further maps companies up to five levels of granularity, totaling ~250 product categories
- Business vertical: FinTechs are additionally classified by banking business verticals such as Retail Banking, SME Banking and Capital Markets amongst others
- Value chain: (currently available only for InsurTech) InsurTechs are additionally classified by the activity where they add value, such as policy administration, claims management, risk assessment and underwriting amongst others
- Business model: companies are also defined by their intended customer base such as B2C, B2B and B2B2C amongst others
How can I partner with or contribute data to the FCT platform?
If you are an industry association, research organization or non-profit looking to collaborate with us or contribute data, please reach out to us via email at email@example.com.
Better Insights, Better Decisions
Try our Platform today